Monday, July 16, 2012

Ethiopia (Trip 2) "Gotcha Day"

I've literally been putting off this post because there are a million things to say about this day/trip/adoption process, but yet I don't know how to express everything in words. I do know if I really start getting into everything right now, I'll end up sobbing my way through the post, so maybe I'll share more another time. By the way, for those of you who aren't part of the adoption world, "Gotcha Day" was a term coined for the day a family takes custody of their child. This day for us was Tuesday, June 26th (a day before our Embassy/VISA interview, which is when we became "official"). 

Tuesday morning we went to the care center to spend time with Josiah Yosen. My heart was pounding just about as hard this time around as the first time we met him. I was so anxious to hold him again! A nanny brought him out from his crib and he quietly sat in my arms and looked around. One of the nannies wanted him to show off his crawling skills for us so we put him on the ground and she got him to do a few scoots for us:~) Over time he started to relax and play and we got to see some of those adorable smiles we had seen the first time around. 

We weren't actually positive until we got to the care center that he was for sure coming back with us that afternoon. Thankfully they had prepared information for me about his sleep and eating schedules which helped relieve some of the anxiety I was starting to feel when they said "Yes! He's going home with you today!"


Josiah Yosen is back in my arms, and not sure what to think about it all!

Watching and wondering. What in the world is going on?

Daddy gets a turn.



 Doesn't he look like an angel under the mosquito net? 

After lunch, all the babies went down for a nap, so we left the care center to go eat.




Enjoying lunch at the Culture House with Jeremy and Erin.



When we got back to the care center we found that the kids had all been changed into traditional Ethiopian clothing and we received a beautiful outfit to put on Josiah as a gift. After some chaos, the party began. I wish I could post the videos of the songs the kids sang for us, as well as pictures of the festivities, but for privacy reasons I can't. 


The dishes for the party.

Josiah digging into his cake at the party.



When it was time to go, we got hit with a wave of emotion, that THIS IS REAL! After giving hugs and thanks to the kids and an emotional staff, with tears streaming down our faces, we walked out the gate with Josiah in our arms! 


We squished into a taxi and rode back to the guesthouse together.


Welcome to our family Josiah Yosen! We love you so much!





For those of you who never got to see pictures, here is a look back...


February 17th, 2012-Referral pictures
I'll never forget the moment I first saw pictures of our son! (click here to read about the referral)


 
We received these updated pictures right before our first trip and it made me cry because Josiah was growing so fast.


First trip-April 22nd-May 1st

The first time we held Josiah (April 24th)


Josiah was more interested in the camera than mommy.



Daddy and Josiah's first moments together.

Tuesday, June 26th
Our family!


1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful family! So excited to finally see pictures of you all together, Beth! May God continue to bless you guys during this transition!

    ReplyDelete