Orphan Sunday 2012
About this video
"On Orphan Sunday, Christians stand for the orphan. We are a people called to defend the fatherless…to care for the child that has no family…to visit orphans in their distress. Each event is locally-led. Sermons and small groups, concerts and prayer gatherings, shared meals and youth activities—each rousing believers with God’s call to care for the orphan, and what we can do in response. From many sources, one voice. On November 4th, 2012, thousands of events echo across America and around the globe, all sharing a single goal: that God’s great love for the orphan will find echo in our lives as well. Orphan Sunday is your opportunity to rouse church, community and friends to God’s call to care for the orphan. Thanks to Phil Wickham for permission to use the song, "You're Beautiful"."
Orphan Sunday Prayer Points
(Prayer points taken from “God’s Heart for the Orphans” by Rick and Kay Warren)
1) Pray that the Lord would give you a personal sense of responsibility for praying for orphans. Ask that He would help you to see orphans with His eyes and His heart. Pray for the Lord to help your church congregation feel His heart for the orphans.
2) Pray for the fatherless in your community and/or any orphans you may know by name. Ask the Lord to protect them, care for them, and defend them. Pray for families in countries all over the world who have room in their homes and hearts for a fatherless child. Ask that the Lord would speak to them even now, leading them to consider adoption or foster care. Pray specifically for families in your community who may be in the process of adopting. Ask for God’s provision for all of their needs: physical, emotional, and spiritual.
3) Ask the Lord to lead the lawmakers in every nation to protect and provide for orphans.
4) Ask the Lord to raise up respite care providers to support and give relief to the caregivers caring for orphans who are waiting to have families adopt them.
5) Ask God to care for child- headed households. Pray that the Lord will provide for their needs. Pray that an adult would come alongside them and adopt them. Ask the Lord to protect them from abuse.
6) Pray for children who are not yet orphans but may only have one parent who may be sick or dying. Pray for the health and safety of their parent. Pray for God’s provision. Pray for protection for the children in these households.
7) Ask God to protect children affected by war and violent conflicts. Pray that the Lord will protect their vulnerable hearts and keep them safe. Pray that a church will reach out to them.
8) Ask the Lord to release and speed any care supplies to refugee camps where many orphans live and need even the most basic necessities. Ask Him to cut through any governmental regulations or corrupt leaders to miraculously get the supplies delivered to where they are needed most
9) Pray for the health of orphans around the world. Ask the Lord to provide medications and treatment for the simple things that are unnecessarily killing children like unclean drinking water, malaria, dysentery, AIDS, and malnutrition.
10) Pray for street children. These children live under bushes and in dumps and sewage pipes. They may eat meals out of trash cans. Many people walk by them without seeing them or view them as pests. Ask God to open the churches’ eyes to help them see the orphans all around them. Ask the Lord to provide food and shelter for the street children.
A father to the fatherless, a defender of widows,
is God in his holy dwelling. God sets the lonely in families...